THIS POLICY DESCRIBES HOW HEALTH AND OTHER INFORMATION MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
SamaCare LLC (hereby known as The Company) may only disclose protected health information to enable the Company to carry out the SamaCare Health Services or as otherwise permitted by the Standards for Privacy of Individually Identifiable Health Information ("HIPAA Privacy Rule"). the Company is required by law to maintain the privacy of Protected Health Information (as defined in 45 C.F.R. § 160.103) and to provide individuals with this notice of their legal duties and privacy practices with respect to Protected Health Information. The Company is required to follow the terms of this notice that is currently in effect.
How the Company May Use or Disclose Protected Health Information
• For payment. "Payment" includes actions to determine your eligibility for Company Health Services, to facilitate payment for the treatment and services you receive from health care providers, or to coordinate coverage. Payment activities include billing, claims processing, subrogation, plan reimbursement.
• For health care operations. “Health care operations” include quality assessment and improvement. It may include legal services and auditing functions (including fraud and abuse compliance programs), business planning and development, business management, and general administrative activities.
The Company will share protected health information as necessary to coordinate benefits and carry out treatment, payment, or health care operations relating to the organized health care arrangement.
• To Business Associates. The Company may disclose your protected health information to business associates the Company hires to assist the Company with administration services. Each business associate of the Company must agree in writing to ensure the continuing confidentiality and security of your medical information. For example, the Company may work with a third party software vendor to assist with software development.
The Company will disclose your Protected Health Information when required to by federal, state or local law. The Company may also disclose your Protected Health Information for the following purposes:
· For judicial and administrative proceedings pursuant to legal authority;
· To report information related to victims of abuse, neglect or domestic violence;
· To assist law enforcement officials in their law enforcement duties;
· For public health activities, such as assisting public health authorities or other legal authorities to prevent or control disease, injury, or disability, or for other health oversight activities;
· To avert a serious threat to health or safety; and
· For other purposes only with your written authorization which you may revoke as provided in 45 C.F.R. § 164.508(b)(5).
Your Health Information Rights
You have the right to:
· Request a restriction on certain uses and disclosures of your Protected Health Information as provided by 45 C.F.R. § 164.522; however, the Company is not required to agree to a requested restriction;
· Inspect and obtain a copy of your Protected Health Information as provided by 45 C.F.R. § 164.524;
· Request that your Protected Health Information be amended as provided in 45 C.F.R. § 164.526;
· Request communications of your Protected Health Information by alternative means or at alternative locations as provided by 45 C.F.R. § 164.522;
· Receive an accounting of disclosures made of your Protected Health Information as provided by 45 C.F.R. § 164.528; and
· File a complaint with the Plans as well as the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services if you believe your privacy rights have been violated. If you would like to file a complaint with the Plans, such complaint must be filed on the Plans’ complaint form with the Plans HIPAA Privacy Officer. You will not be retaliated against for filing a complaint.
- Receive notification of breaches of your unsecured Protected Health Information
Other Information Collected Over Email, Text, or Our Sites That Is Not Considered Protected Health Information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting only if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
Links to Other Sites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Cookies and Web Beacons
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information through your use of our Sites. This information may include Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.), operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data.
“Cookies” are small data files that are stored on the hard drive of the computer you use to view a web site. Every computer that accesses the SamaCare Sites is assigned a different Cookie by SamaCare. “Web Beacons” are graphic image files imbedded in a web page typically used to monitor activity on a web page and send back to its home server (which can belong to the host site, a network advertiser or some other third party) information from your browser, such as the IP address, the URL of the page on which the Web Beacon is located, the type of browser that is accessing the site and the ID number of any Cookies on your computer previously placed by that server.
Changes to this Notice
The Company reserves the right to change this notice. Its reserves the right to make the revised or changed notice effective for Protected Health Information it already has about you as well as any Protected Health Information it receives in the future. The Company will post a copy of the current notice at its facility, and make it available to you upon request. In event of a material change in the notice the Company will deliver the new version within sixty (60) days.
If you need more information or if you would like to exercise one of your rights described above, please contact:
HIPAA Privacy Officer
Effective Date of this Policy: August 15, 2017